The weekend is here, and you can’t wait to get on the road to your vacation getaway. You’ve spent all week packing, and are positive you didn’t forget a single thing! However, did you make sure to take all the measures necessary to protect your home against invaders? Have you done what you can to decrease your energy expenditure while you are gone? Here are some tips for securing your home before you head out on vacation:
• Secure a neighbor as an emergency contact. Give them the contact information for where you will be staying in case there is a problem with your home.
• Install light-timers, and program them to turn on in the evenings. This will help deter burglars who are looking for empty homes at night.
• Contact the Post Office and have your mail held..
• Check all windows, blinds, and doors to make sure they are secure before you leave.
• Adjust your thermostat. No one is going to be in your home, so this is an easy opportunity to cut down on costs.
• Unplug any electronics that are not in use while you are gone. This can protect you against any possible shortages that may cause a fire.
• Discard any perishable items in your fridge and empty your trash.
• Make sure your smoke detectors are in working order.
• Set your alarm system before you leave.
If you will be away for an extended period of time be sure to turn your water off. There is nothing worse than coming home to water damage from broken plumbing.
From all of us Saks Insurance wish you a safe, and fun summer vacation! For any questions about insurance in Arizona, please contact Saks Insurance. We make it our mission to find you the best coverage, and the most affordable price. Contact us today for all of your insurance needs!