Summer is the perfect season to spend as much time as possible with your friends and family, not in the kitchen cooking up complicated meals. There are plenty of delicious, quick meals that your whole family will enjoy that will not keep you cooped up in the kitchen. Keep this easy salsa verde steak sandwich recipe in mind to enjoy this summer.
- 1 ½ pounds petite filet, beef or shoulder tenderloin
- 6 large tomatillos
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil spray
- 3 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 chopped large onion
- 4 chopped cloves of garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 cup room temperature lager beer
- ½ cup canned green chilies, drained
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon mild-flavored honey
- 4 hoagie rolls
- 2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Freeze the meat for 10 minutes.
- On a baking sheet, spray the tomatillos with the vegetable oil, season with salt and pepper. Roast the tomatillos until they are charred, about 20 minutes.
- While the tomatillos are roasting, heat up 3 tablespoons canola oil in a cast iron skillet or griddle over medium high heat. Add the garlic, onion, cumin, oregano, and coriander. Sauté until the onions are tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Reduce the heat by half.
- Puree the roasted tomatillos in a food processor with the cilantro, chilies, and honey. Add the tomatillo puree to the skillet, keeping the salsa verde mixture at a simmer.
- Cut the meat against the grain. Add 1 tablespoon canola oil to a clean cast iron skillet or griddle pan over high heat. Sear and toss the meat to cook through, working in batches. Once all the meat is browned, dress with Worcestershire.
- Turn on the broiler. Pile the meat on your roll bottoms, scatter cheese on top, and arrange on a baking sheet. Broil for 1 minute to melt the cheese. Before serving, add lots of salsa verde and the bun tops, and enjoy!
All of us at Saks Insurance Agency in Mesa, Arizona would like to encourage you to try this delicious recipe this summer!