While a fire pit can be a wonderful addition to your home, all fires are potentially dangerous. So before you sit down with some marshmallows to roast, we here at Saks Insurance, LLC. have gathered up some tips to help you keep that fire in the pit (and away from everything else).
Are you legal?
- Before building or buying a fire pit, check the regulations in your area to learn about restrictions.
- Your fire pit may be legal, but a fire might not always be. Monitor and follow community burn bans. Log on to http://www.maricopa.gov/aq/Default.aspx to check on the air quality in your neighborhood (or download the application to receive air quality alerts on your smart phone)
- Be respectful. Nothing can extinguish the good vibes of a nice fire more quickly than police complaints from smoked-out neighbors.
What kind of pit do you want?
- You can buy a fire pit or build one. If you choose the latter, there are plenty of resources online to help you design it. Don’t dig a hole just anywhere and throw some rocks down. Put some thought into it and you’ll have a better — and safer — spot to enjoy.
- If you want convenience, a propane model might be right for you. They produce less smoke and have an adjustable flame.
Ready to build your fire?
Actually, you probably aren’t ready yet.
- First, ensure the area under and around the fire pit is clear of flammable materials. Keep the pit itself at least 10 feet from any structures.
- Before you start the fire, have a fire extinguisher or a garden hose handy.
Okay, now are you ready to build your fire?
- Choose hard, seasoned woods. Sparks from softer woods like cedar can increase the danger of igniting something nearby.
- Don’t use liquid fuels, even lighter fluid, to get your fire going. And don’t burn paper, cardboard, leaves, garbage, etc.
- If you have a metal fire pit, don’t overload it and always use the included safety screen.
Is the fire out?
- When you’re done, spread out the ashes and let them cool off for a bit. Then gently pour water or sand over them. Stick around for a little while to watch for flare-ups.
We want you to have plenty of nice, warm nights — without getting burned. Here’s to making memories around the fire!
At Saks Insurance, LLC., we can work with you to make sure you have the coverage that you need, while at the same time using all possible credits and discounts to make that coverage affordable. Just give us a call at 480-545-1144 or send us an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. We want to help you meet your goals, and make sure what’s important to you is protected!